from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Shading.
- n. A faint sketch; an outline, a brief representation.
- n. A rough or symbolic representation of something.
- n. The shadow or outline of a figure.
- n. A vague indication of what is to come.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of adumbrating, or shadowing forth.
- n. A faint sketch; an outline; an imperfect portrayal or representation of a thing.
- n. The shadow or outlines of a figure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of adumbrating or making a shadow or faint resemblance.
- n. Figuratively, a faint sketch; an imperfect representation; something that suggests by resemblance, or shadows forth; a foreshadowing.
- n. In heraldry, the shadow only of a figure, outlined, and painted of a color darker than the field.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of providing vague advance indications; representing beforehand
- n. a sketchy or imperfect or faint representation
From Latin adumbrātiōnem, from adumbrāre. (Wiktionary)