from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of estivation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A state of inactivity and metabolic depression during summer: the summer version of hibernation.
- n. The arrangement (vernation) of the parts of a flower inside a bud; prefloration.
- n. The spending or passing of a summer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of torpidity induced by the heat and dryness of summer, as in certain snails; -- opposed to
- n. The arrangement of the petals in a flower bud, as to folding, overlapping, etc.; prefloration.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (botany) the arrangement of sepals and petals in a flower bud before it opens
- n. (zoology) cessation or slowing of activity during the summer; especially slowing of metabolism in some animals during a hot or dry period
Formed from Latin aestivare, from aestus ‘heat’. (Wiktionary)