from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The special atmosphere or mood created by a particular environment: "The noir ambience is dominated by low-key lighting . . . and deep shadows, creating feelings of disorientation, loneliness and entrapment” ( UCLA Film/TV Archive).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A particular mood or atmosphere of an environment or surrounding influence.
- n. A secondary color of a polygon that becomes more pronounced with shading.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Environment: in art, the arrangement of accessories and surroundings to support the main effect intended.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a particular environment or surrounding influence
- n. the atmosphere of an environment
French, from ambiant, surrounding, from Latin ambiēns, ambient-; see ambient.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French ambiance (Wiktionary)