from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Surrounding; encircling: ambient sound; ambient air.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Encompassing on all sides; surrounding; encircling; enveloping.
- adj. Evoking or creating an atmosphere: atmospheric.
- adj. Relating to, or suitable for, storage at room temperature.
- n. Something that surrounds.
- n. A type of modern music which incorporates elements of various musical styles, and creates a relaxing and peaceful atmosphere.
- n. The atmosphere; the surrounding air or sky; plural atmospheric components collectively such as air, clouds, water vapour, hail, etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Encompassing on all sides; circumfused; investing.
- n. Something that surrounds or invests.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Surrounding; encompassing on all sides; investing: applied to aëriform fluids or diffusible substances.
- Moving round; circling about.
- n. That which encompasses on all sides, as a sphere or the atmosphere.
- n. A canvasser, a suitor, or an aspirant.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. completely enveloping
Latin ambiēns, ambient-, present participle of ambīre, to surround : amb-, ambi-, around; see ambi- + īre, to go; see ei- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin ambiens ("going around"), from ambiō ("go around"). (Wiktionary)