from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Encompassing on all sides; surrounding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Ascribing to all aspects of; encompassing.
- adj. Surrounding.
- adv. in a circumambient manner
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Surrounding; inclosing or being on all sides; encompassing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Surrounding; encompassing; inclosing or being on all sides: specifically applied, in entomology, to the pronotum when the anterior angles are elongated in curved processes which form a circle above the head, overlapping in front.
From Latin circum ("around") + ambiō, from amb- ("both side") + eō ("go"), literally "go on both sides of". (Wiktionary)