from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An external boundary; a circuit.
- n. Sphere or scope. See Synonyms at range.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The sphere or area of control and influence of something.
- n. A circuit, or a boundary around a property.
- n. A span of actions, thoughts, or words.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Circuit or compass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Compass or circuit; circumference; boundary: as, the ambit of a fortification or of a country.
- n. Extent; sphere; scope.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control:
Latin ambitus, from past participle of ambīre, to go around; see ambient.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin ambitus ("going around, circuit"), from ambiō ("go around"). (Wiktionary)