from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Temporary absence or cessation of breathing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The cessation of breathing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. transient cessation of respiration.
- n. Partial privation or suspension of breath; suffocation; same as apnea.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, partial privation or suspension of respiration; want of breath.
- n. See apnæa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. transient cessation of respiration
New Latin apnoea, from Greek apnoia : a-, without; see a-1 + pnoiā, -pnoia, breathing (from pnein, to breathe.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the New Latin apnoea, from the Ancient Greek ἄπνοια (apnoia), formed from ἀ- (a-, "absence of") + πνοή (pnoē, "breathing"). (Wiktionary)