from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Arterial disease in which chronic high blood pressure is the primary symptom.
- n. Abnormally elevated blood pressure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The disease or disorder of abnormally high blood pressure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. abnormally high blood pressure; especially, the chronic condition associated with persistent high blood pressure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Extreme tension.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a common disorder in which blood pressure remains abnormally high (a reading of 140/90 mm Hg or greater)
hyper- + tension (Wiktionary)