from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A disorder characterized by the excessive consumption of and dependence on alcoholic beverages, leading to physical and psychological harm and impaired social and vocational functioning. Also called alcohol abuse, alcohol dependence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A chronic disease caused by addiction to alcohol, leading to a deterioration in health and social functioning.
- n. Acute alcohol poisoning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A diseased condition of the system, brought about by the continued use of alcoholic liquors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, the effects of excessive use of alcoholic drinks.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. habitual intoxication; prolonged and excessive intake of alcoholic drinks leading to a breakdown in health and an addiction to alcohol such that abrupt deprivation leads to severe withdrawal symptoms
- n. an intense persistent desire to drink alcoholic beverages to excess
Sorry, no etymologies found.