from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A psychological disorder characterized by chronic fatigue and weakness, loss of memory, and generalized aches and pains, formerly thought to result from exhaustion of the nervous system. No longer in scientific use.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ill-defined medical condition characterized by lassitude, fatigue, headache, and irritability, associated chiefly with emotional disturbance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A condition of nervous debility supposed to be dependent upon impairment in the functions of the spinal cord.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In medicine, nervous debility; nervous exhaustion.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. nervous breakdown (not in technical use)
Sorry, no etymologies found.