from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Related to or resulting from alcohol.
- adj. Containing or preserved in alcohol.
- adj. Suffering from alcoholism.
- n. A person who drinks alcoholic substances habitually and to excess or who suffers from alcoholism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person addicted to alcohol.
- n. One who abuses alcohol.
- adj. Of or pertaining to alcohol.
- adj. Having more than a trace amount of alcohol in its contents.
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or affected by alcoholism
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to alcohol, or partaking of its qualities; derived from, or caused by, alcohol; containing alcohol
- n. A person given to the use of alcoholic liquors.
- n. Alcoholic liquors.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or of the nature of alcohol.
- Containing or using alcohol: as, an alcoholic thermometer.
- n. One who indulges to excess in alcoholic beverages, or who is suffering from the systemic effects of alcohol.
- n. A remedy the chief therapeutic value of which depends upon the presence of alcohol.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. addicted to alcohol
- adj. characteristic of or containing alcohol
- n. a person who drinks alcohol to excess habitually
First attested 1891, from alcohol + -ic (Wiktionary)