from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to oil.
- adj. Impregnated, smeared with, or containing oil; greasy.
- adj. Excessively suave in action or behavior; unctuous. See Synonyms at unctuous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to oil.
- adj. Smeared with or containing oil.
- adj. Excessively friendly or polite so as to sound insincere.
- n. A marble with an oily lustre.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Consisting of oil; containing oil; having the nature or qualities of oil; unctuous; oleaginous.
- adj. Covered with oil; greasy; hence, resembling oil.
- adj. Smoothly subservient; supple; compliant; plausible; insinuating.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Consisting of oil; containing oil; having some of the qualities of oil: as, oily matter; an oily fluid.
- Appearing as if oiled; resembling oil.
- Fat; greasy.
- Figuratively, unctuous; smooth; insinuatingly and smoothly sanctimonious; blandly pious; fawning.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. smeared or soiled with grease or oil
- adj. coated or covered with oil
- adj. containing an unusual amount of grease or oil
- adj. unpleasantly and excessively suave or ingratiating in manner or speech
From oil + -y. (Wiktionary)