from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. An unpaid, overdue debt or an unfulfilled obligation.
- n.pl. The state of being behind in fulfilling obligations: an account in arrears.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An unpaid or overdue obligation. A debt.
- n. Plural form of arrear.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the state of being behind in payments
- n. an unpaid overdue debt
Middle English arrers, from arrere, behind, from Old French arere, from Vulgar Latin *ad retrō, backward : Latin ad, to; see ad- + Latin retrō, behind; see re- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)