from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who attacks another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Someone who attacks or assails another violently, or criminally; an attacker.
- n. A hostile critic or opponent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Assailing; attacking.
- n. One who, or that which, assails, attacks, or assaults; an assailer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Assaulting; attacking; invading with violence. Milton.
- In heraldry, same as salient.
- n. One who assails, attacks, or assaults.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who attacks
Old French asaillant, from the verb asaillir ("to jump on"), from Latin assaliō, itself from ad ("to, towards") + saliō ("to jump"). (Wiktionary)