from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a confederacy; an ally.
- n. One who assists in a plot; an accomplice. See Synonyms at partner.
- n. A supporter of the Confederate States of America.
- adj. United in a confederacy; allied.
- adj. Of or having to do with the Confederate States of America.
- transitive v. To form into or become part of a confederacy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a member of a confederacy
- n. an accomplice in a plot
- n. An actor who participates in a psychological experiment pretending to be a subject but in actuality working for the researcher (also known as a 'stooge').
- adj. of, relating to, or united in a confederacy
- adj. banded together; allied.
- v. To combine into a confederacy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. United in a league; allied by treaty; engaged in a confederacy; banded together; allied.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the government of the eleven Southern States of the United States which (1860-1865) attempted to establish an independent nation styled the Confederate States of America.
- n. One who is united with others in a league; a person or a nation engaged in a confederacy; an ally; also, an accomplice in a bad sense.
- n. A name designating an adherent to the cause of the States which attempted to withdraw from the Union (1860-1865).
- transitive v. To unite in a league or confederacy; to ally.
- intransitive v. To unite in a league; to join in a mutual contract or covenant; to band together.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To unite in a league or alliance; join in a mutual contract or covenant.
- To cause to unite in a league; ally.
- United in a league; allied by compact or treaty; engaged in a confederacy; leagued; pertaining to a confederacy.
- Specifically [capitalized] Pertaining to the Confederate States of America: as, the Confederate government or army.
- n. One who is united or banded with another or others in a compact or league; a person or nation engaged in a confederacy; an ally; an associate; an accomplice.
- n. Specifically A citizen or subject of one of a number of confederated states; specifically (with a capital), a citizen or soldier of any one of the southern States of the American Union which formed the Confederate States of America, who participated in or sympathized with the attempt to destroy the Union by secession and the prosecution of the civil war.
- n. Synonyms Friend, Companion, etc. (see associate), accomplice, accessory, abetter, fellow-conspirator.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a supporter of the Confederate States of America
- adj. of or having to do with the southern Confederacy during the American Civil War
- v. form a group or unite
- n. someone who assists in a plot
- adj. united in a confederacy or league
- n. a person who joins with another in carrying out some plan (especially an unethical or illegal plan)
- v. form a confederation with; of nations
From Middle English confederat, allied, from Late Latin cōnfoederātus, past participle of cōnfoederāre, to unite : Latin com-, com- + Latin foederāre, to unite (from foedus, foeder-, league; see bheidh- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)