from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. With a leg on each side: riding astride.
- adv. With the legs wide apart.
- prep. On or over and with a leg on each side of.
- prep. Situated on both sides of.
- prep. Lying across or over; spanning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. With one’s legs on either side.
- prep. With one’s legs on either side of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. With one leg on each side, as a man when on horseback; with the legs stretched wide apart; astraddle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- With one leg on each side of some object; with the legs wide apart.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. with the legs stretched far apart
- adv. with one leg on each side
From a- + stride. (Wiktionary)