from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Activities, such as sports, exercises, and games, that require physical skill and stamina.
- n. The principles or system of training and practice for such activities.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Physical activities such as sports and games requiring stamina, fitness and skill.
- n. A group of sporting activities which includes track and field, road running, cross country running and racewalking.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The art of training by athletic exercises; the games and sports of athletes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The art or practice of athletic games or exercises; the system of rules or principles employed for physical training, as in running, rowing, boxing, gymnastics, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a contest between athletes
- n. an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition
- n. participation in sports events as an extracurricular activity
From athlete + -ics. (Wiktionary)