from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Gymnastic exercises designed to develop muscular tone and promote physical well-being: Sit-ups, trunk twists, and other calisthenics are demonstrated on the videotape.
- n. The practice or art of such exercises: Calisthenics is recommended to relax the muscles before a run.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. plural Gymnastic exercises, especially morning exercises, done to keep one's body healthy.
- n. singular A system of such exercises.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science, art, or practice of healthful exercise of the body and limbs, to promote strength, gracefulness, and general fitness; light gymnastics.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the practice of calisthenic exercises
- n. light exercises designed to promote general fitness
From Greek kalli-, beautiful (from kallos, beauty) + sthenos, strength; see segh- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek κάλλος (kallos, "beauty") + σθένος (sthenos, "strength"). (Wiktionary)