from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A circle of light or radiance surrounding the head or body of a representation of a deity or holy person; a halo.
- n. Astronomy See corona.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Corona.
- n. A circle of light or halo around the head of a deity or a saint
- n. Any luminous or colored ring that encircles something.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A luminous emanation or cloud surrounding a figure or an object; an aureola.
- To surround or invest with an aureole.
- n. The zone of contact-metamorphism about an intrusive igneous mass. It is equivalent to *contact-zone.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an indication of radiant light drawn around the head of a saint
- n. the outermost region of the sun's atmosphere; visible as a white halo during a solar eclipse
Middle English, from Late Latin (corōna) aureola, golden (crown), feminine of Latin aureolus, golden, from aureus, from aurum, gold.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French aureole, from Medieval Latin aureola (corona) ("golden (crown)"). (Wiktionary)