from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A publisher's list of older titles kept in print.
- transitive v. To place (a title) on a backlist.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To hold back a student's application (to a college etc.) based on whether a preferred candidate declines their offer.
- v. To place (a book) on a backlist.
- n. A list of older books available from a publisher, as opposed to the frontlist of more recent titles.
back + list (Wiktionary)