from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Russian musical instrument with a triangular body and three strings that produces sounds similar to those of a mandolin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Russian musical instrument, similar to a guitar, with a triangular body.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a stringed instrument of Russian origin that has a triangular body and three strings.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A musical instrument of very ancient Slavic origin, common among the Russians and Tatars, and, according to Niebuhr, also in Egypt and Arabia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stringed instrument that has a triangular body and three strings
Russian balalaĭka, of Turkic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Russian балалайка (balalájka). (Wiktionary)