from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A dog, such as a mastiff, kept chained as a watchdog or because of its ferocious aggressiveness.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dog that has been tied up; a mastiff or other kind of guard dog.
- n. Specifically, a type of large, ferocious dog bred by crossing American pit bull terriers with Neapolitan mastiffs.
- n. A bailiff or prison guard.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mastiff or other large and fierce dog, usually kept chained or tied up.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large, fierce kind of dog, in England generally a mastiff, usually kept chained.
Middle English band-dogge : band, leash, chain; see band1 + dogge, dog; see dog.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From band + dog. (Wiktionary)