from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A preparation from the leaves and seed capsules of the cannabis plant, smoked, chewed, eaten, or infused and drunk to obtain mild euphoria.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Cannabis, especially as used in the Indian subcontinent.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An astringent and narcotic drug made from the dried leaves and seed capsules of wild hemp (Cannabis Indica), and chewed or smoked in the East as a means of intoxication. See hasheesh.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The dried leaves of the hemp-plant, Cannabis Indica, which as grown in India contain a powerfully narcotic resin and a volatile oil.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a preparation of the leaves and flowers of the hemp plant; much used in India
Ultimately from Sanskrit bhaṅgā.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hindi भांग and Urdu بھانگ, from Sanskrit भङ्ग. (Wiktionary)