from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A water-soluble, yellowish-brown pigment.
- n. A grayish to yellowish brown.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of bistre.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A dark brown pigment extracted from the soot of wood.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In painting, a brown pigment extracted from the soot of wood.
- Of the color of bister; blackish-brown.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a water-soluble brownish-yellow pigment made by boiling wood soot
French bistre.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)