from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various shrubs or small trees of the genus Rhamnus, which includes several ornamentals and a few medicinal species such as the cascara buckthorn.
- n. See bumelia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several, often thorny shrubs or small trees of the genus Rhamnus, especially the common buckthorn or purging buckthorn; Rhamnus cathartica.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus (Rhamnus) of shrubs or trees. The shorter branches of some species terminate in long spines or thorns. See rhamnus.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of species of Rhamnus (which see).
- n. A local English name of the haddock: chiefly applied to dried haddock.
- n. In the southern United States any species of the genus Bumelia, particularly B. lycioides.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an Old World plantain with long narrow ribbed leaves widely established in temperate regions
- n. a shrub or shrubby tree of the genus Rhamnus; fruits are source of yellow dyes or pigments
- n. any shrub or small tree of the genus Bumelia
Translation of New Latin cervī spīna : cervī, genitive of cervus, deer, buck + spīna, thorn.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
buck + thorn (Wiktionary)