from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See sweetbrier.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Eurasian rose, Rosa eglanteria, having prickly stems, fragrant leaves, pink flowers and red hips
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A species of rose (Rosa Eglanteria), with fragrant foliage and flowers of various colors.
- n. The sweetbrier (R. rubiginosa).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sweetbrier, Rosa rubiginosa. It flowers in June and July, and grows in dry, bushy places.
- n. The wild rose or dogrose, Rosa canina.
- n. A stone of the hardness and grain of marble.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Eurasian rose with prickly stems and fragrant leaves and bright pink flowers followed by scarlet hips
Middle English eglentin, from Old French eglantine, diminutive of aiglent, from Vulgar Latin *aculentum, from neuter of *aculentus, spiny, from Latin aculeus, spine, from acus, needle; see ak- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)