from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Causing or involving calamity; disastrous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Concerning or involving calamity, disastrous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Suffering calamity; wretched; miserable.
- adj. Producing, or attended with distress and misery; making wretched; wretched; unhappy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Miserable; involved in calamity or deep distress; wretched.
- Of the nature of or marked by calamity or great misfortune; bringing or resulting from calamity; making wretched; distressing or distressful: as, a calamitous event; “that calamitous prison,” Milton, S.A.,1. 1480; “this sad and calamitous condition,” South.
- Synonyms Afflictive, disastrous, distressing, grievous, deplorable, baleful, ruinous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin
From calamity + -ous (Wiktionary)