from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Permeated, covered, encrusted, or cooked with sugar: candied sweet potatoes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of candy.
- adj. coated or encrusted with sugar
- adj. preserved in sugar or syrup by baking till it becomes translucent
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Preserved in or with sugar; incrusted with a candylike substance.
- adj. Converted wholly or partially into sugar or candy; as candied sirup.
- adj. Conted or more or less with sugar
- adj. Figuratively; Honeyed; sweet; flattering.
- adj. Covered or incrusted with that which resembles sugar or candy.
- adj. smoothly coated with crystals of sugar; -- used especially of fruits.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Preserved with sugar, or incrusted with it; covered with crystals of sugar, or with matter resembling it: as, candied raisins.
- Wholly or partly crystallized or congealed: as, candied honey.
- Figuratively, honeyed; flattering; glozing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (used especially of fruits) preserved by coating with or allowing to absorb sugar
- adj. encrusted with sugar or syrup
Sorry, no etymologies found.
During fiestas, other dishes are consumed such as squash and pumpkin candied with piloncillo.
We ate delicious goat cheese wrapped in candied beets and toasted each other repeatedly.
If I hadn't known better, I would have thought it was "candied" - drizzled in honey or carmelized with brown sugar.
Unlike other citrus, the pith is not bitter and it's most popular culinary use is to be candied, which is exactly what I'll be doing.
You may know that crystallized ginger, also known as candied ginger, consists of strips of ginger root cooked in sugar syrup and coated with sugar.
Wil - I think it might be called candied peel in the US?
Crystallized ginger, also known as candied ginger, is fresh ginger that has been peeled, boiled in sugar and water, dried and coated in granulated sugar.
These soft and springy cookies have a subtle crunch provided by pecans and crystallized ginger (also known as candied ginger).
My husband's family has always made their "candied" sweet potatoes a very special way and he will not eat them any other way.
If you are as tired as I am of dry turkey and "candied" sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top at Thanksgiving, here are our globalized versions of these two canonical dishes, the sweet potato from a Thai chef preparing for holiday guests at his lower Manhattan restaurant Kittichai, the turkey from France's pre-eminent cook, Joël Robuchon.