from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Luminous intensity expressed in candelas.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. former measurement of brightness of a light source
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. illuminating power, as of a lamp, or gas flame, reckoned in terms of the light of a standard candle.
- luminous intensity; illuminating power, as of a lamp, or gas flame, measured in candelas, referring to the light of a standard candle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The illuminating power of a candle; specifically, the illuminating power of a candle of determinate composition and rate of burning, taken as a unit in estimating the luminosity of any illuminating agent: as, a gas-jet of 25 candle-power.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. luminous intensity measured in candelas
Sorry, no etymologies found.