from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A round projectile fired from a cannon.
- n. A jump into water made with the arms grasping the upraised knees.
- n. Something, such as a fast train, moving with great speed.
- n. Sports A fast low serve in tennis.
- intransitive v. To travel with great speed.
- intransitive v. To jump into water while grasping one's upraised knees with one's arms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The result of running and jumping in a flexed position into a swimming pool to create a large splash, mimicking the flight and shape of a cannonball.
- n. Something that moves fast.
- n. a served ball that travels with great speed and describes little or no arc in flight.
- v. To jump/dive into water doing a cannonball landing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a solid projectile that in former times was fired from a cannon
Sorry, no etymologies found.