from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A traveling bag made of carpet fabric that was used chiefly in the United States during the 19th century.
- adj. Carpetbagging.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having the characteristics of carpetbaggers
- n. A traveling bag made from carpet scraps used primarily in the United States in the 19th century.
- v. To come to a place or organisation with which one has no previous connection with the sole or primary aim of personal gain, especially political or financial gain.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A portable bag for travelers; -- so called because originally made of carpet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A traveling-bag made of carpeting on a frame; hence, by extension, a traveling-bag of any kind similarly formed.
- Of or characteristic of carpet-baggers: as, carpet-bag government; carpet-bag politics.
- To act or live in the manner of a carpet-bagger.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. presumptuously seeking success or a position in a new locality
- adj. following the practices or characteristic of carpetbaggers
- n. traveling bag made of carpet; widely used in 19th century
carpet + bag (Wiktionary)