from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Cast adrift or ashore; shipwrecked.
- adj. Discarded; thrown away.
- n. A shipwrecked person.
- n. A rejected or discarded person or thing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Cast adrift or ashore; marooned.
- adj. Shipwrecked.
- n. A shipwrecked sailor.
- n. A discarded person or thing.
- n. An outcast; someone cast out of a group or society.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, is cast away or shipwrecked.
- n. One who is ruined; one who has made moral shipwreck; a reprobate.
- adj. Of no value; rejected; useless.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which has been cast away or lost; specifically, a ship wrecked or lost on an unfrequented coast, or a person shipwrecked on such a coast.
- n. Hence An outcast; a reprobate; one morally lost or ruined.
- In or pertaining to the state of being a castaway; wrecked; ruined: as, a castaway ship.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. throw or cast away
- n. a person who is rejected (from society or home)
- n. a shipwrecked person
Sorry, no etymologies found.