from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A harsh trilling sound, such as that made by crickets.
- intransitive v. To make a harsh trilling sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To make a prolonged trilling sound of an insect (e.g. a grasshopper, a cicada).
- n. The trilled sound made by an insect.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To murmur or coo as a pigeon.
- To utter a tremulous, rattling sound; make a shrill jarring noise, such as that made by the cricket or cicada; chirp.
- n. A monotonous, sharp, stridulous sound such as that made by the cricket or cicada.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a vibrant noise, of grasshoppers or cicadas
Imitative.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)