from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A tropical Asian grass (Cymbopogon nardus) having bluish-green, lemon-scented leaves and an essential oil.
- n. A pale yellow to brownish aromatic oil obtained from this plant, used chiefly in perfumery and also in some insect repellents and commercial flavorings.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tropical Asian grass, Cymbopogon nardus, that has lemon-scented leaves
- n. An essential oil obtained from this plant
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fragrant grass, Andropogon Nardus, extensively cultivated in Ceylon and Singapore for an oil (citronella-oil) which is obtained from it.
New Latin, from French citronnelle, lemon oil, diminutive of citron, citron; see citron.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French citronnelle. (Wiktionary)