from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A naturally rounded paving stone.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A rounded stone from a river bed, fit for use as ballast in ships and for paving roads.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large pebble; a rounded stone not too large to be handled; a small boulder; -- used for paving streets and for other purposes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cobble or rounded stone; especially, such a stone used in paving.
- To pave with cobblestones.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. pave with cobblestones
- n. rectangular paving stone with curved top; once used to make roads
Middle English cobelston : obsolete cobel, probably diminutive of cob, round object; see cob + Middle English ston, stone, stone; see stone.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English kobilstane, from cobble (probably a diminutive of one of various words cob, presumed to stem from a Proto-Germanic root kubb- "something rounded") + Old English stan ("stone") (Wiktionary)