from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that sets written material into type; a typesetter.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who sets type; a typesetter.
- n. One who, or that which, composes or sets in order.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who composes or sets in order.
- n. One who sets type and arranges it for use.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In printing, one who sets types; a type-setter.
- n. A composing or type-setting machine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one who sets written material into type
Middle English compositur, one who composes, settler of disputes, from Anglo-Norman compositour, from Latin, writer, compiler, from compōnere, composit-, to put together; see component.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)