from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who takes a contrary view or action, especially an investor who makes decisions that contradict prevailing wisdom, as in buying securities that are unpopular at the time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person who expresses a contradicting viewpoint, especially one who denounces the majority persuasion
- n. a financial investor who tends to have an opinion of market trends at variance with most others
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. taking an opposing view, especially a view opposite to that taken by the majority.
- n. a person who habitually takes a view opposite to that held by the majority.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an investor who deliberately decides to go against the prevailing wisdom of other investors
c 1660 contrary + -an (Wiktionary)