from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rocklike deposit consisting of the calcareous skeletons secreted by various anthozoans. Coral deposits often accumulate to form reefs or islands in warm seas.
- n. Any of numerous chiefly colonial marine polyps of the class Anthozoa that secrete such calcareous skeletons.
- n. The red-orange, pinkish, or white deposits secreted by corals of the genus Corallium, used to make jewelry and ornaments.
- n. An object made of this material.
- n. A deep or strong pink to moderate red or reddish orange.
- n. The unfertilized eggs of a female lobster, which turn a reddish color when cooked.
- adj. Of a deep or strong pink to moderate red or reddish orange.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hard substance made of the limestone skeletons of marine polyps.
- n. A colony of marine polyps.
- n. (colour) A somewhat yellowish pink colour, the colour of red coral.
- adj. Made of coral.
- adj. Having the yellowish pink colour of coral.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The hard parts or skeleton of various Anthozoa, and of a few Hydrozoa. Similar structures are also formed by some Bryozoa.
- n. The ovaries of a cooked lobster; -- so called from their color.
- n. A piece of coral, usually fitted with small bells and other appurtenances, used by children as a plaything.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A general term for the hard calcareous skeleton secreted by the marine cœlenterate polyps for their support and habitation (polypidom).
- n. A child's toy, consisting of a branch of smooth coral with a ring attached, and usually with the addition of small bells and a whistle.
- n. The unimpregnated roe or eggs of the lobster, which when boiled assume the appearance of coral.
- n. A fleshy-leafed crassulaceous house-plant, Rochea coccinea, native of South Africa, bearing bright-scarlet flowers.
- Made of coral; consisting of coral; coralline: as, a coral ornament; a coral reef.
- Making coral; coralligenous: as, a coral polyp.
- Containing coral; coraled; coralliferous: as, a coral grove.
- Resembling coral; especially, of the color of commercial coral; pinkish-red; red: specifically, in heraldry, used of that color when described in blazoning a nobleman's escutcheon according to the system of precious stones. See blazon, n.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. marine colonial polyp characterized by a calcareous skeleton; masses in a variety of shapes often forming reefs
- adj. of a strong pink to yellowish-pink color
- n. a variable color averaging a deep pink
- n. the hard stony skeleton of a Mediterranean coral that has a delicate red or pink color and is used for jewelry
- n. unfertilized lobster roe; reddens in cooking; used as garnish or to color sauces
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin corallium, from Greek korallion.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek κοράλλιον (korallion, "coral"). (Wiktionary)