from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Relating to colors or color.
- adj. Relating to color perceived to have a saturation greater than zero.
- adj. Music Of, relating to, or based on the chromatic scale.
- adj. Music Relating to chords or harmonies based on nonharmonic tones.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Relating to or characterised by hue.
- adj. Having the capacity to separate spectral colours by refraction.
- adj. Regarding all twelve traditional Western pitch classes, regardless of temperament or intonation; Regarding entire sets of alternative pitch class systems.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Relating to color, or to colors.
- adj. Proceeding by the smaller intervals (half steps or semitones) of the scale, instead of the regular intervals of the diatonic scale.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or of the nature of color.
- In music: Involving tones foreign to the normal tonality of a scale, a harmony, or a piece; not diatonic, Involving the use of the black notes on the keyboard, or of sharps and flats on the staff.
- n. In music, a note affected by an accidental.
- In cytology, of or pertaining to chromatin, the stainable substance of the cell-nucleus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. able to refract light without spectral color separation
- adj. being or having or characterized by hue
- adj. based on a scale consisting of 12 semitones
Greek khrōmatikos, from khrōma, khrōmat-, color.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek χρῶμα (khroma, "color"). (Wiktionary)