from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Covered with rust; corroded.
- adj. Consisting of or produced by rust.
- adj. Of a yellowish-red or brownish-red color.
- adj. Working or operating stiffly or incorrectly because of or as if because of rust.
- adj. Weakened or impaired by neglect, disuse, or lack of practice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Affected by rust.
- adj. Of the rust color, reddish or reddish-brown.
- adj. Having red or reddish-brown hair.
- adj. Lacking recent experience, out of practice, especially with respect to a skill or activity.
- adj. discolored and rancid; reasty
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Covered or affected with rust.
- adj. Impaired by inaction, disuse, or neglect.
- adj. Discolored and rancid; reasty.
- adj. Surly; morose; crusty; sullen.
- adj. Rust-colored; dark.
- adj. Discolored; stained; not cleanly kept; filthy.
- adj. Resembling, or covered with a substance resembling, rust; affected with rust; rubiginous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Covered or affected with rust: as, a rusty knife or sword.
- Consisting of rust; hence, having the appearance or effect of rust: as, rusty stains.
- Covered, incrusted, or stained with a dirty substance resembling rust; hence, filthy; specifically, as applied to grain, affected with the rust-disease: as, rusty wheat.
- In botany and zoology, of the color of rust; rubiginous; ferruginous.
- Red or yellow, as fish when the brine in which they are prepared evaporates. Fat fish, like herrings, mackerel, or halibut-fins, often turn rusty.
- Having lost the original gloss or luster; time-worn; shabby: as, a rusty black; clothes rusty at the seams.
- Out of practice; dulled in skill or knowledge through disuse or inactivity.
- Causing rust; rendering dull or inactive.
- Rough; hoarse; harsh; grating: as, a rusty voice.
- To make rusty; rust.
- Same as reasty for reasted.
- Stubborn: same as resty for restive.
- Uncivil; surly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. covered with or consisting of rust
- adj. impaired in skill by neglect
- adj. ancient
- adj. of the brown color of rust
rust + -y (Wiktionary)