from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of old age.
- adj. Relating to or exhibiting memory loss or mental impairment associated with aging.
- adj. Geology Worn away nearly to the base level, as at the end of an erosion cycle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to old age.
- adj. Exhibiting the deterioration in mind and body often accompanying old age; doddering.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to old age; proceeding from, or characteristic of, old age; affected with the infirmities of old age.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of old age; proceeding from age; especially, pertaining to or proceeding from the weaknesses that usually attend old age: as, senile garrulity; senile petulance.
- In physical geography, exhibiting features of old age in the geographical cycle: said of worn-flown land-forms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. mentally or physically infirm with age
Latin senīlis, from senex, sen-, old.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French senile, from Latin senīlis ("of or pertaining to old age"), from Latin senex ("old"), from Gaulish and Proto-Indo-European *sénos (“old”). (Wiktionary)