from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Pertaining to a rib.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Pertaining to the ribs or the sides of the body.
- adj. Relating to a costa, or rib.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In anatomy: Pertaining to the ribs or the side of the body: as, costal nerves.
- Bearing ribs; costiferous: applied to those vertebræ which bear ribs, and to that part of the sternum to which ribs are attached.
- In entomology, pertaining to the costa or anterior edge of an insect's wing; situated on or near the costa.
- In botany, pertaining to the costa or midrib of a leaf or frond.
- Certain parts of the sternum with which the ribs articulate. They are very prominent in passerine birds. See cut under carinate.
- n. In the articulate crinoids, the lateral plates of the calyx, often fused together.
- n. One of the bony plates borne upon and fusing with the external face of the ribs to form the greater portion of the carapace in turtles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or near a rib
Sorry, no etymologies found.