from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person from one's own country; a compatriot.
- n. A native or inhabitant of a particular country.
- n. A man who lives in the country or has country ways.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Somebody from a certain country.
- n. Somebody from one's own country.
- n. country dweller, especially a follower of country pursuits
- n. a settled person, as opposed to a traveller
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An inhabitant or native of a region.
- n. One born in the same country with another; a compatriot; -- used with a possessive pronoun.
- n. One who dwells in the country, as distinguished from a townsman or an inhabitant of a city; a rustic; a husbandman or farmer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An inhabitant or a native of a particular region.
- n. One born in the same country with another.
- n. One who dwells in the country, as opposed to the town; hence, a rustic; a farmer or husbandman.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man from your own country
- n. a man who lives in the country and has country ways
Sorry, no etymologies found.