from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who settles in a new region.
- n. One who settles or decides something.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. someone who settles in a new location, especially one who makes a previously uninhabited place his home
- n. someone who decides something, such as a dispute
- n. the person in a betting shop who calculates the winnings
- n. A drink which settles the stomach, especially a bitter drink, often a nightcap.
- n. A vessel, such as a tub, in which something, such as pulverized ore suspended in a liquid, is allowed to settle.
- n. That which settles or finishes, such as a blow that decides a contest.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who settles, becomes fixed, established, etc.
- n. Especially, one who establishes himself in a new region or a colony; a colonist; a planter.
- n. That which settles or finishes; hence, a blow, etc., which settles or decides a contest.
- n. A vessel, as a tub, in which something, as pulverized ore suspended in a liquid, is allowed to settle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who settles; particularly, one who fixes his residence in a new colony.
- n. A separator; a tub, pan, vat, or tank in which a separation can be effected by settling.
- n. That which seltles or decides anything definitely; that which gives a quietus: as, that argument was a settler; his last blow was a settler.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who settles in a new colony or moves into new country
- n. a negotiator who settles disputes
- n. a clerk in a betting shop who calculates the winnings
to settle + -er (Wiktionary)