from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A scarf or band of fabric worn around the neck as a tie.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A wide fabric band worn as a necktie by men, having long ends hanging in front.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A neckcloth; a piece of silk, fine muslin, or other cloth, worn by men about the neck.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A neckcloth; a piece of muslin, silk, or other material worn about the neck, generally outside a linen collar, by men, and less frequently by women.
- To put on or wear a cravat; invest with a cravat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. neckwear worn in a slipknot with long ends overlapping vertically in front
French cravate, necktie worn by Croatian mercenaries in the service of France, from Cravate, a Croatian, from German dialectal Krabate, from Serbo-Croatian Hrvāt.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French cravate, an appellative use of Cravate, from Dutch Krawaat, from German Krawatte, from Serbo-Croatian Hr̀vāt/Хр̀ва̄т ("Croat"). (Wiktionary)