from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To appear darkly or indistinctly.
- intransitive v. To grow dark.
- intransitive v. To become gloomy.
- transitive v. To make dark or indistinct: "the dramatist . . . whose province it is to darkle and obscure” ( London National Observer).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To be dark; to be visible only darkly.
- v. To become dark; to show indistinctly.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To grow dark; to show indistinctly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To appear dark; show indistinctly.
- To become dark or gloomy.
Back-formation from darkling.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Back-formation from darkling. (Wiktionary)