from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The domesticated ass (Equus asinus).
- n. Slang An obstinate person.
- n. Slang A stupid person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A domestic animal, Equus africanus asinus, similar to a horse.
- n. A stubborn person.
- n. A fool.
- n. A small auxiliary engine, also called donkey engine.
- n. A bad poker player.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An ass; or (less frequently) a mule.
- n. A stupid or obstinate fellow; an ass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An ass: a familiar term.
- n. A stupid or obstinate and wrong-headed fellow.
- n. In mech., a subsidiary apparatus for carrying a weight or load, or coming into action to steady and support a primary element.
- n. A driving-frame or truck acting as a tractor on rails, to pull or haul a weight or load.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. domestic beast of burden descended from the African wild ass; patient but stubborn
- n. the symbol of the Democratic Party; introduced in cartoons by Thomas Nast in 1874
Perhaps from the name Duncan or of imitative origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)