from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A silly, foolish, or stupid person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A silly or foolish person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fool; a silly or stupid person.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fool; a blockhead; a simpleton.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stupid foolish person
Origin unknown .(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Earlier (1676) nicompoop, possibly from Latin non compos mentis ("not of sound mind"). Earliest known use of nincompoop spelling is from 1680. (Wiktionary)