from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A man who is preoccupied with and often vain about his clothes and manners; a dandy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A vain man; a dandy.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One whose ambition it is to gain admiration by showy dress; a coxcomb; an inferior dandy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To mock; fool; cheat.
- n. A fool; a shallow pretender; an ostentations dunce.
- n. A man who is ostentatiously nice in manner and appearance; one who invites admiration by conspicuous dress and affectations; a coxcomb; a dandy.
- n. Synonyms Dandy, Exquisite, etc. See coxcomb.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
Middle English, fool; probably akin to Middle English fob, trickster, cheat; see fob2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Akin to German foppen ("to jeer") (Wiktionary)