from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The boyfriend of a woman or girl.
- n. A dandy; a fop.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man with a reputation for fine dress and etiquette; a dandy or fop.
- n. A male lover; a boyfriend.
- n. A male escort.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man who takes great care to dress in the latest fashion; a dandy.
- n. A man who escorts, or pays attentions to, a lady; an escort; a suitor or lover.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Good; fair: used especially in address: as, “beau sir,” See beausire, beaupere, etc.
- n. (bōz).
- n. One who is very neat and particular about his dress, and fond of ornaments and jewelry; a fop; a dandy: now most often said of a man of middle age or older: as, he is an old beau.
- n. A man who is suitor to or is attentive to a lady; a lover; a swain.
- n. Synonyms Dandy, Exquisite, etc. See coxcomb.
- To act the beau to; attend or escort (a lady).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- n. a man who is the lover of a girl or young woman
French, from beau, bel, handsome, from Latin bellus; see deu-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French beau < Latin bellus ("beautiful"). (Wiktionary)